What about extending the wiki...?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 13 04:23:34 PST 2004

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational said the following on 03/13/04 12:47:

> At a time when security concerns are becoming constantly more important,
> I have difficulty buying into that concept at all.

I understand all concerns but you have a very pessimistic view on our
community. If our community is to survive, we have to start with a basis
of *trust*. And if you don't trust your fellow LFS-editors you have
bigger worries then the installation of a Wiki.

As long as people such as yourself care about the proper contents of the
Wiki it will be a major hit. It's exactly the proof that self-regulation
  can work.

Anyway, all of this doesn't mean anything as long as we don't move
forward with it. We already have a Wiki, and it's usage has been
minimal, even though it has been pointed out multiple times. If this is
an indicator we have nothing to worry about.

I propose, as Website maintainer, to do introduce the Wiki in a number
of phases which allow us to reflect & evaluate the success/failure at
any time.

Phase 1: Move Drupal to drupal.linuxfromscratch.org. Setup PHPWiki at
test.linuxfromscratch.org. Copy the content of the current site. Adjust
the templates & stylesheets to resemble the current site. Allow only
registered users access but allow self-registration. Estimated time: 1-2
months.

Phase 2: Advertise the Wiki on the main website and on the mailinglists.
At this point we direct everyone at the Wiki for the latest information,
although the main website will be sustained. Let it run for 3 months.

Phase 3: Evaluate the progress & success/failure thus far. If the Wiki
is abused too much at this phase, we should move back to Drupal. If not,
move the Wiki to the main website and move the main website to
old.linuxfromscratch.org. Let it run in the wild for another period of 3
months.

Phase 4: Evaluate. What are the opinions of admins and users? Should we
move to more user authentication to lower maintenance burden? Should we
completely dismiss the Wiki and move back to Drupal?

So you see, it will take at least 4-5 months before I consider replacing
the website with the Wiki. This should be more then enough time to see
if it can replace the main website.

I hope that everyone who has concerns about using the Wiki as our main
website will give me the benefit of the doubt, and trust my judgement on
  my long experience with the LFS community and on the basis of my
contributions to the project thus far. Thanks.

FAQ and Website Maintainer