What about extending the wiki...?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Sat Mar 13 03:03:56 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming said the following on 03/12/04 20:31:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>> Look how Jeroen's time to maintain the website and the FAQ got reduced,
>> we must take into account that with a Wiki it will be a lot easy to the
>> visitor itself fix a typo or a mirror maintainer fix his entry on the
>> mirrors list. That is, we from the website team will be "freed" from
>> trivial changes.
>

> I know that sounds promising, but it scares me a bit. That's one reason
> I've never really like Wiki systems that much, because I never had any
> level of confidence that I could trust what I was reading.

At least with PHPWiki, an admin can be assigned who can lock pages so
they can no longer be freely edited. We could share the admin-account
with all registered LFS-ers. A finer granularity of access control is
forthcoming.

Also, your concerns have long been addressed by Wiki community though,
see <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyWikiWorks>. We have a strong, friendly
and helpful community. The regular website has 1.5 million hits per
month, excluding the mirrors. Any vandalism should be immediately
noticed, and because a Wiki has a very low barrier for editing anyone
can fix it by retrieving an old version. Like I said before, I want to
run at least a test with an open system, to see how well the community
manages itself. Should the vandalism become too much a burden we can
lock it down a bit.

You can compare it with the mailinglists - they have been run very
succesfully completely open, low-barrier and community-managed.
Unfortunately due to a global problem (ie. spam & windows ^H^H^H^H^
viruses) we have to make the entry barrier a bit higher. The same can be
done with the Wiki if the need arises.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans