What about extending the wiki...?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 12 10:59:54 PST 2004

On Sex, 12 Mar 2004 18:29:39 +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> James Robertson said the following on 03/12/04 17:42:
> >
> >I am glad that you are looking into it.  I have thought that the wiki
> >would work for us for some time, but have not had the expertise to do
> >anything with it.  I believe that an upgrade would not be too difficult.
>
> I think the best course of action, should we proceed, would be to
> install the new version on the testsite so the regular wiki isn't
> interrupted. Installation is relatively simple, just needs a database.

If this database can be MySQL, we already have one specially for tests.

> >I think Drupal is nice, but I also think that PHPWiki is more powerful,
> >more folks are using it and with the other available plugins, we could
> >have ourselves a real nice CMS going on there.
> > How long until the user auth is coming?  Can we wait that long? Can we
> > help them move along faster?  I think going wiki is an excellent idea.
>
> For admins, Drupal is more powerful because it has finer granularity for
> user management and control. It also has some more functionality by
> default. However, for users, a Wiki is much more friendly.

IMHO it's a little difficult to compare Wiki with a CMS, as they allow
different levels of "freedom". Wiki is designed to allow free editing,
that's why access control is not advanced nor essential.  OTOH, Drupal
(or any other CMS) was designed for management of content, which include
controlling who can edit what.

This way, the choice of which tool to use rely mainly on how much
freedom/autonomy we want for the website maintenance.

Look how Jeroen's time to maintain the website and the FAQ got reduced,
we must take into account that with a Wiki it will be a lot easy to the
visitor itself fix a typo or a mirror maintainer fix his entry on the
mirrors list. That is, we from the website team will be "freed" from
trivial changes.

A CMS, althought is indeed more flexible than our current CVS/manual
editting, still is a maintainance burden, because we need to keep track
of user management, give different roles to the users allowing them or
not to post a news item or modify static pages. But then "fine-grained
permission control" is actually a feature of a CMS.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org