What about extending the wiki...?

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 12 08:42:11 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've said before that I think we don't use the Wiki enough. I've been
> playing around with PHPWiki for work and for the University lately, and
> I'm very impressed with it. I noticed that we have still have an old
> version on the LFS website; can it be upgraded?

I am glad that you are looking into it.  I have thought that the wiki
would work for us for some time, but have not had the expertise to do
anything with it.  I believe that an upgrade would not be too difficult.

> Also, the Wiki links are very ugly;
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=LFS
> Can the "index.php?pagename="-part be snipped with a nifty .htaccess
> rule? See http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/PrettyWiki

SF.net has that on their wiki set.  If you remember, when LFS first had
a wiki over there, that was how it was setup.  I am not sure of the
method that the "fix" the filename, it may be the .htaccess hack.  I
would agree that we would want to fix this issue to make the site's URLs
cleaner.

> I've adjusted the LFS wiki slightly to see what's possible, and I can
> port the current design over to it. I've also felt the power of PHP and
> some smart plugins. I know we're in the middle of evaluating and even
> migrating to Drupal, but I seriously wish to consider the effects of
> using a Wiki as our mainsite now that we can still change our minds.

I think Drupal is nice, but I also think that PHPWiki is more powerful,
more folks are using it and with the other available plugins, we could
have ourselves a real nice CMS going on there.

> A wiki would leverage the complete site editing and building to our
> editors and users, and it's great fun too! It has its own revision
> control so we don't need to use CVS for it. The news pages are underused
> in our current setup and I don't think that editors have the need to add
> that much news (except for releases), so perhaps we could do away with
> that particular homepage design. Also, I'd like to move at least the FAQ
> to the Wiki, since it can benefit greatly from the added user contribution.

Yea, using wiki markup is real easy.  I figured it out in about 15 minutes.

> There are plugins available for PHPWiki which would give us most
> functionality we require, and we can probably write a decent one which
> converts cvs2cl's XML output into the wiki. For polls there is
> <http://thebigone.caltech.edu/~mvandam/phpwiki2/index.php/PollPlugin>,
> and there's also an excellent Calendar-plugin.
>
> We can also look at <http://tavi.sourceforge.net>,
> <http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/> or <http://tikiwiki.org>. The latter
> is also used by www.freedesktop.org and is very featureful but probably
> overkill.
>
> For mirroring we can export the Wikipages daily as regular XHTML pages,
> and munge the action-links to point to the LFS server.
>
> The only feature which is a bit lacking in current PHPWiki is proper
> user autherization, although it's forthcoming in the next release.
> Nonetheless, we can still lock pages and give editors the responsibility
> to keep their own sections clean, which is good enough for now, especially
>
> Opinions?

How long until the user auth is coming?  Can we wait that long? Can we
help them move along faster?  I think going wiki is an excellent idea.

James