What about extending the wiki...?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 11 18:06:42 PST 2004

Anderson Lizardo said the following on 03/12/04 02:44:

> I currently don't know wiki syntax (I've never used a wiki in edit mode,
> anyway), but I can learn if we plan to test it. Although I didn't have
> made further evaluation, I foresee at least these issues:

Wiki syntax is very simple. PHPWiki consists of PHP files which do all
the hard work; I'm sure it won't take you long before you're familiar
with it.

> - Is there a way on wiki to keep the menus on separate pages? Otherwise,
>   we will need to edit various pages to make a change on a menu

No, they use PHP-based templates which are split into different
subfiles. We can edit the existing menu's (actionbar and navbar) and
create new menu's.

> - As you said, news items will have to be published manually, which will
>   need care on to put them on the correct position according to the
>   date, keep the layout uniform.

For that, check out the Calendar plugin:
http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/CalendarPlugin

<?plugin Calendar prefix="News/ ?>

> - How are we going to archive news items? Is there a wiki "plugin" for
>   news management?

See above. You'll have to adjust your news-centered view to a
page-centered view though.

> BTW, just looked the Wiki and I saw it now looks like our site. Nice
> work!

Bah, it's not nearly as cool as it's going to be if we proceed with this!

FAQ and Website Maintainer