What about extending the wiki...?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 11 15:35:55 PST 2004

Hi,

I've said before that I think we don't use the Wiki enough. I've been
playing around with PHPWiki for work and for the University lately, and
I'm very impressed with it. I noticed that we have still have an old
version on the LFS website; can it be upgraded?

Also, the Wiki links are very ugly;
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=LFS
Can the "index.php?pagename="-part be snipped with a nifty .htaccess
rule? See http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/PrettyWiki

I've adjusted the LFS wiki slightly to see what's possible, and I can
port the current design over to it. I've also felt the power of PHP and
some smart plugins. I know we're in the middle of evaluating and even
migrating to Drupal, but I seriously wish to consider the effects of
using a Wiki as our mainsite now that we can still change our minds.

A wiki would leverage the complete site editing and building to our
editors and users, and it's great fun too! It has its own revision
control so we don't need to use CVS for it. The news pages are underused
in our current setup and I don't think that editors have the need to add
that much news (except for releases), so perhaps we could do away with
that particular homepage design. Also, I'd like to move at least the FAQ
to the Wiki, since it can benefit greatly from the added user contribution.

There are plugins available for PHPWiki which would give us most
functionality we require, and we can probably write a decent one which
converts cvs2cl's XML output into the wiki. For polls there is
<http://thebigone.caltech.edu/~mvandam/phpwiki2/index.php/PollPlugin>,
and there's also an excellent Calendar-plugin.

We can also look at <http://tavi.sourceforge.net>,
<http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/> or <http://tikiwiki.org>. The latter
is also used by www.freedesktop.org and is very featureful but probably
overkill.

For mirroring we can export the Wikipages daily as regular XHTML pages,
and munge the action-links to point to the LFS server.

The only feature which is a bit lacking in current PHPWiki is proper
user autherization, although it's forthcoming in the next release.
Nonetheless, we can still lock pages and give editors the responsibility
to keep their own sections clean, which is good enough for now, especially

Opinions?

FAQ and Website Maintainer