[newxml] We've got HTML again!

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 05:33:53 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:02:59PM +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Matthias Benkmann said the following on 03/11/04 11:32:
>
> >Move (or replicate) the Hints, Beyond LFS,... links to the menu. I had
> >trouble spotting them because my mental banner-filter considered them part
> >of the banner and filtered them out. I searched for them in the menu for a
> >while before giving up and scanning the screen. Had I not known about
> >Hints/BLFS I would never have looked for them and never have found them.
<..>

> Those links are sections, while the menulinks are links within a
> section. But I can move them below the site logo, would that help?

I also expected it to be at least duplicated in the menu. I've never
thought about it long enough to say anything, but I still find myself
skipping over them only to not see them prominently in the menu and go
back.

> >When I click Read/Development(CVS) I want to read the CVS version of the
> >book and I want to read it A S A P.
<..>
> Use bookmarks, that's what they're for. Stable releases will always
> point to read/stable, and CVS will always point to read/cvs. The text is
> necessary to point out that CVS is for developers.

Jeroen is right on this point. The redundancy of the intermediary page
sucks for those who've followed the book for a while, but I agree the
text should be mandatory for newbies.

> Thanks for the constructive criticism. Please direct further discussion
>  to website at lfs.org.

Okay.

--
Archaic

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood.  The
person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to
the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that
person's liberty.  Are you free?

- Andrew Ford