LFS Team

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Mon Mar 1 05:03:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> <snip about Greg's leaving>
>
> I assume Ryan will take over his place as the toolchain maintainer? Or
> should we vote about this on lfs-dev/lfs-hackers?

Ryan is the logical choice (being the actual developer of PLFS) but may
have workload constraints. As far as voting, I don't think that is the
way to do it. That makes assignment to a technical task completely
political (in the purest sense). I think Gerard and Ryan (and others?)
will probably take a look at folks who have demonstrated certain traits
(e.g. technical knowledge, writing skills, strong teamwork, quick
understanding of new areas, ...) in the past, and ask them if they have
an interest.

Of course that could be considered "political" as well. Folks might say
the position was filled because Gerard liked someone. But that is
natural and normal. Gerard is "CEO" and edit team lead. He should have
someone in whom he has confidence, with whom he feels comfortable and
that he believes will do a good job overall, including working with
others and representing well.

I expect that whomever is selected will have a learning curve to go
through because it will take some time to acquire needed technical
knowledge in one or more areas.

Democracy is not always the best way to decide something. I give you
the recent U.S. presidents as example: Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational