Search page conf & tmpl

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 14:51:01 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 00:25, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Anderson,

Hi Jeremy,

> index.cgi for search.linuxfromscratch.org was bringing up a blank page
> so I went investigating...
>
> Seems that somehow swish.tmpl had become an empty file so a template
> wasn't being processed.  I had a copy of swish.tmpl in my home folder so
> I copied it over.  After that I was getting errors finding the indexes.
> I looked at the .swishcgi.conf and I think you were trying to iterate
> through the indexes, right?   I couldn't figure out how to do that at
> the moment, so I backed up the current version and restored the old one
> so the search page would work for now.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but there is
a /usr/bin/update-search-engine.sh script which, amongst other things,
fetches a fresh copy of swish.tmpl from Subversion, every time it runs (I
think nightly, once per day). The SVN repository was down for some hours
recently and maybe the script ran exactly at the period, emptying swish.tmpl.
So the search page became unusable for one entire day.

This situation is not good, indeed :). So I'll add some code to
update-search-engine.sh so it can handle these situations nicely.

Thanks for the heads up,
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org