r798 - /

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 12:25:25 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 22-07-2004 19:35:

> I'm not going to be available much during the middle of August, so I'd
> like to get a few things done on the site now if possible.  Some of the
> things I'd like to do require that the repository for TWiki is in good
> working order, that I can make adjustments to the code and have the
> commits be sent out to the site.  Is the branch I made good enough for
> our requirements, (the harm has already been done :( ) or do we need to
> set up a different branch?  If we do require a new one what do you think
> is the best method of going about that, so I don't make the same
> mistake?

My plan was as follows:
- the twiki/trunk directory is populated with the latest released TWiki code
- from that trunk, we branch for test.lfs.org
- in the branch, we modify the code so it matches our current installation

It's a bit more work & complicated then dropping in the current test
code, but this gives us the following advantage: if TWiki is upgraded,
we can roll the patch into twiki/trunk. This diff can then be merged
into our branch, which will preserve our changes.

If I'm not mistaken, a branch called test.lfs.org already exists (I
created it before you created test.linuxfromscratch.org). I suggest the
following:
- remove your test.linuxfromscratch.org
- start from branches/test.lfs.org and merge & commit each change from
the current test site, including the movements of directory. In
subversion-1.1, we should be able to merge updates to moved files in our
branches.
- once branches/test.lfs.org is the same as the current installation,
start working on a postcommit script, which creates a working copy from
the branch & updates it. As long as no TWiki pages change any of the
code changes, this method will work fine.

I'm open for alternative suggestions, of course :) Also feel free to ask
for clarification if necessary. Good luck!

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans