so long and thanks for the fish

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 18 08:59:40 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:28 +1000, Zeplin wrote:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Roel Neefs said the following on 18-07-2004 02:44:
> >

> >> I just disabled rsync and ftp access to the lfs archive on
> >> gaosu.rave.org. Please remove me from the lfs team on the website as
> >> well, i hope you'll find another rsyncd host.
> >

> > Did I miss anyhting? Where did this come from?
> >

> Probably has a lot to do with the new requirements for running a mirror,
> now the introduction of the wiki is going to be happening.
>
> Sounds to me like a like of software is needed, basicly putting the
> security of the mirror into LFS's and Twiki hands.
>
> But ya never know, try emailing him directly

In the requirements listed at
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors
there are only two necessary packages that are not part of a standard
LFS install (and therefore, most likely, any other Linux distro), Apache
and Rsync, both of which all current mirrors have.  (TWiki:
Codev.RcsLite) is mentioned but that is included in the site that we
would push, RCS is listed as a possibility if a mirror chooses to
install it.  If a mirror chooses Option 1, the only real difference
would be that they would now need to run rysnc as a server and open port
873 with access based on hostname or ip address.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net