Repository organisation

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 10:48:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:44 +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 15-07-2004 16:12:
> >
> > Okay, I have to admit.  I'm a bit confused.  Our current repository,
> > 'www', looks like this.
> > 	/branches
> > 	/tags
> > 	/trunk
> > 	/twiki
> >
> > Are you suggesting that under 'www' we have the structure located at
> > http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteSvnRepository ?
> >
> > I'm sure I need to understand this better, but the suggestions made in
> > the documentation of Subversion seem to indicate a structure like this:
> >
> > 	/trunk
> > 		/html
> > 		/twiki
> > 		/templates
> > 	/branches
> > 	/tags
> >
> > If I'm totally off here, perhaps someone can point me in the direction
> > of some good documentation?
>
> Basically, it means that the primary organization principle will be the
> sub-project itself (html, twiki, templates), instead of the
> trunk/branches/tags layout. ALFS did the same thing, and I think it's
> more logical that way. That means that html, twiki and any other
> "self-contained" subprojects would get their own directory. These
> directories function as sub-repositories and thus contain the
> trunk/branches/tags layout. But since it's all in the same repository,
> we still get all benefits of data sharing and merging.
>
> > Also, in the matter of twiki, when a webpage gets edited on the site,
> > would we also have to then automate a subversion update?
>
> No, I'd like to exclude such "volatile" data. It would unnecessarily
> complicate our setup, and we don't need the safety of version control or
> backups (since TWiki has its own version control and we have numerous
> mirrors as backup).
>
> > In reference to
> > http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2004-
> > July/003424.html
> > I have some adjustments I'd like to make to the TWiki.pm file which will
> > enable the mirrors to automatically configure themselves, but I want to
> > wait to commit until I understand what's going on. :)
>
> My fault; I should have explained myself better :-)
> The idea is to put our TWiki installation on test.lfs.org under SVN as a
> branch of the original TWiki code (which is called trunk). When we
> update to a new version of TWiki, we can merge those changes into our
> branch. This mechanism allows us to maintain elaborate hacks,
> configuration changes etc.
>
> This means that:
> 1. we need to import our current changes into branches/test.lfs.org
> 2. checkins into branches/test.lfs.org need a post-commit action to
> update the actual site
>
> I don't care if you wish to do the changes to TWiki.pm now or later, but
> it might be easier if you do after we've succesfully done the above. I'm
> [...]

One more question, :) just to see if I'm actually wrapping my brain
around this: this means that the current trunk, branches, tags in the
www repository will get moved to /html? And we create a new /templates?
Is that right?  Sorry for being so slow... I'm reading as much
Subversion stuff as I can.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net