r786 - in twiki/branches/test.lfs.org: . css images js styleswitcher

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 09:17:39 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Thanks, excellent tip. I haven't used the svn:externals property yet (or
> any other property, for that matter). I'll have to familiarize myself
> with them first.

SVN properties have become very useful for me; I use the svn:externals
property for the purpose I already mentioned, and use a custom property
(project_desc) to inform the svn2html2.pl script which sub-projects
should have their SVN commit messages placed on the ALFS news page, and
what the description of that sub-project should be.

Anderson is also using them to control which LFS trees get rendered and
under what name, and I'll be doing the same thing for the LFS profiles
in the ALFS project.

Just keep in mind that when you set up an svn:externals property on
twiki/branches/test.lfs.org to checkout "images", you'll want that
property to use "svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/www/images/trunk" (or
whatever), not "svn+ssh:...". That way anonymous checkouts will also get
the images directory; the only downside to this is that the images
directory in your twiki working copy won't be changeable (i.e. you can't
commit from it), but realistically that's OK, because changes to that
directory would logically be made in a working copy of that directory,
not a "cloned" copy in another location.