New mirror instructions

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 02:03:22 PDT 2004

[Please keep discussion on website at lfs.org! Thanks]

Hi mirror admins,

As you may be aware, the website team is working hard on implementing a
CMS for easy maintenance and more features for the website. This
inevitably has consequences for our mirror setup. Until now, we've had a
very simple setup: a mirror just rsyncs a directory and is done. That's
going to change a bit. The CMS we've picked is TWiki; see
http://twiki.org. It has been chosen because:
- it offers several possibilities of mirroring
- it has very modest server requirements (Perl in its most basic
configuration)
- it can fullfil all other functions that are requested by the
community. See
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteFeaturesTodo

Our requirements for the new mirror setup were:
- it should be integratable in RR-DNS
- page edits should only take place on belgarath
- mirroring should be easy and secure

Based on that, our proposal is as follows:
- we implement a RR-DNS system but keep belgarath reachable
- for updating of the pages, a user has to login. We will hardcode this
login to belgarath. Editing also takes place on belgerath
- mirrors thus get a read-only copy of the TWiki installation, which is
otherwise perfectly usable.
- in order to keep mirrors up-to-date, it's necessary to "push" our
changes to the mirrors
- we offer rsync as daemon or rsync+ssh for changes

We've created a proof of concept on http://test.linuxfromscratch.org.
Jeremy Huntwork has been so kind to test the mirror synchronization; any
changes which are made on test.lfs.org are automatically propagated to
his mirror at http://lfs.jenacon.net. He's also written up detailed
instructions at
<http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors>.
Please read them and tell us if you find our solution acceptable, or if
you have a better solution. Note that the test.lfs.org isn't ready for
general consumption or criticism yet and we need to work on the
features. The migration will probably not take place before the end of
the summer (I'm hoping for september/october).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans