TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 14 15:21:52 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 14-07-2004 19:30:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 19:16 +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 13-07-2004 17:01:
>>
>>>http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors
>>
>>How secure is the rsync setup for the mirrors? How does it establish
>>belgeraths' identity? Is it secure enough to protect against malignant
>>people who try to hack the mirrors? I think we need to at least offer
>>mirrors the possibility of rsync+ssh. But perhaps even this is too much
>>for some mirrors.
>

> If you use a hostname, it does a reverse DNS lookup to verify the
> identity -- if that's not suitable you can change the hostname to an ip
> address.
>
> No problem offering the ssh.  It's not horrible to setup if you know
> what you're doing, it's just a bit more work.

Ok, we'll really have to see how the mirror admins react to this. It's
good to know that we can optionally offer really secure push.

> I'd *really* like to see the changes pushed ASAP.  For one thing, we're
> not relying on the correct usage and timing of a remote cron job to make
> sure our mirrors are up-to-date.  It gives us a bit more control of
> content flow.
>
> If you did set up primary and secondary mirrors, how would you decide
> which mirrors would be which?  Based on bandwidth? Location?

You're right. Either we have to make sure *all* mirrors are up-to-date
once a page has changed, or we'd have to fiddle a lot with the
mirror-selection procedure. In that case, the first option is a lot more
attractive.

I'll make some quick changes on the above wiki page; perhaps you can
include some instructions for the rsync+ssh setup? After that, we can
submit it for considaration for the mirror admins.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans