TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 14 10:30:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 19:16 +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 13-07-2004 17:01:
> >
> > http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors
>
> How secure is the rsync setup for the mirrors? How does it establish
> belgeraths' identity? Is it secure enough to protect against malignant
> people who try to hack the mirrors? I think we need to at least offer
> mirrors the possibility of rsync+ssh. But perhaps even this is too much
> for some mirrors.

If you use a hostname, it does a reverse DNS lookup to verify the
identity -- if that's not suitable you can change the hostname to an ip
address.

No problem offering the ssh.  It's not horrible to setup if you know
what you're doing, it's just a bit more work.

> A third option would be Anderson's original suggestion, which is to
> export static XHTML pages from TWiki and distribute these among the
> mirrors. This wouldn't solve the problem of "pushing" our changes
> immediately, but we could make a distinction between primary & secondary
> mirrors, just as Debian, where a primary mirror is always up-to-date,
> while a secondary mirror synchronizes on regular intervals (same as now).
>
> Thoughts?

I'd *really* like to see the changes pushed ASAP.  For one thing, we're
not relying on the correct usage and timing of a remote cron job to make
sure our mirrors are up-to-date.  It gives us a bit more control of
content flow.

If you did set up primary and secondary mirrors, how would you decide
which mirrors would be which?  Based on bandwidth? Location?

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net