TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 11 21:52:48 PDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 12:05 am, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Sunday 11 July 2004 06:54 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > I'm not sure, but as long as no sensitive data needs to be
> > synchronized (ie. the user authentication stays on belgerath), we
> > don't need to use ssh. I'd really prefer this because I'm afraid
> > we'd lose quite some mirrors if we require them to have sshd and an
> > ssh account to mirror us. (The alternative would be the HTML
> > export)
>
> I'm a bonehead.  I completely forgot/ignored the possibility of
> mirrors running rsync as a server with writable modules.
> Furthermore, you can specify which hosts to allow.  Many apologies
> for not understanding what you were saying above.

Yup. That was it, it's good.  Mirrors need to be running rsync as a
daemon.  They should have this module set up in /etc/rsyncd.conf

[twikidata]
path = /local/file/path
read  only = no
uid = localuser (that has write access to path above)
gid = localgroup
hosts allow = belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org (or ip address if
necessary)

Plus, I ran into trouble using the blfs-bootscripts-5.1 script for
rsyncd - until I erased the --compress option in the start section of
the script, rsync would hang on trying to send files.  Don't know what
that was about, but works fine now without --compress.

Temporarily I've added a line in twiki/bin/save that calls a script in
my home folder to rsync to jenacon.net.  That script can be made to
loop through all the servers and placed in a more permanent spot later.
So if you make a change to test.linuxfromscratch.org, you should see it
reflected at lfs.jenacon.net.

Oof! (wiping sweat from brow)
--
Jeremy Huntwork