TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 11 15:54:10 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 11-07-2004 23:40:

> As far as complication goes, it's true it does raise the bar, but
> really, I think the complication stems from trying to build a
> user-editable system with international mirrors. :)

Think of it as a challenge ... :-)

> But, I'm open to other ideas...

Rsync is perfectly usable without ssh; it's how it's currently setup
too. Although right now, mirrors *pull* data, and we're trying to *push
data. I'm not sure, but as long as no sensitive data needs to be
synchronized (ie. the user authentication stays on belgerath), we don't
need to use ssh. I'd really prefer this because I'm afraid we'd lose
quite some mirrors if we require them to have sshd and an ssh account to
mirror us. (The alternative would be the HTML export)

I've probably written this down already, but here's my ideal mirroring
system:
- mirrors rsync our www (now: test) directory, excluding the TWiki
passwd file. Mirrors thus require Perl, mod_perl and ... (fill in)
- we provide a virtual directory directive for httpd.conf or .htaccess
so the TWiki installation is usable on the mirror
- for /edit/, a mirror's .htaccess or httpd.conf redirects to belgerath,
where the user is authenticated
- on belgerath, each /save/ triggers an rsync push to all mirrors
- users automatically surf mirrors through RR-DNS, except to edit pages.
- mirrors which aren't up-to-date automatically get filtered out.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans