TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Jul 9 23:55:01 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 18:14, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Thursday 08 July 2004 04:24 am, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 08-07-2004 01:07:
>
> Although I agree with keeping your pool of mirrors dynamically
> up-to-date, is RR really what you want?  From what I've read, it
> returns an IP address based on who's next in the pool.  That means that
> a person say in Australia could easily get sent to a mirror in New
> York.  Wouldn't it be better to send a user to a mirror based on
> locality?  Or does the DNS you're planning to use incorporate proximity
> as a deciding factor?

Although this would be nice, unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do
so.  RR-DNS works by having one hostname with multiple A records in DNS
(essentially assigning more than one IP to an individual hostname).  In
the zone file, it would look something like this:

www.linuxfromscratch.org IN A 1.2.3.4
                            A 5.6.7.8
                            A 9.10.11.12

The client requesting the IP for www.linuxfromscratch.org would get ALL
implementations would simply pick the first one from the list all the
time - no way to avoid that.  It's not a perfect solution, by any means,
but the user would always have the choice of picking a mirror of their
own (I do this myself, always using my own mirror, right down to making
an entry in my hosts file that makes www.linuxfromscratch.org resolve to
my mirror).

-J-