TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 9 18:14:37 PDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 04:24 am, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 08-07-2004 01:07:
> > On Wednesday 07 July 2004 06:48 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> >>We're moving to round-robin DNS. This basically means that there
> >> will be a rotating pool of up-to-date mirrors to which a user is
> >> dynamically redirected. Mirrors will be automatically
> >> synchronized, or if not possible, automatically removed from the
> >> pool.

Although I agree with keeping your pool of mirrors dynamically
up-to-date, is RR really what you want?  From what I've read, it
returns an IP address based on who's next in the pool.  That means that
a person say in Australia could easily get sent to a mirror in New
York.  Wouldn't it be better to send a user to a mirror based on
locality?  Or does the DNS you're planning to use incorporate proximity
as a deciding factor?

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net