TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 9 13:42:29 PDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 04:05 pm, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2004 02:31 pm, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > On Friday 09 July 2004 12:53 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > > I'm not familiar with rdist, but maybe rsync is better since it's
> > > what is currently in use too (unless rdist has strong features or
> > > advantages over rsync). Rdist also doesn't seem to be maintained
> > > anymore.
> >
> > I, in turn, know very little about rsync.  Can it be called from
> > the server side to push files to remote clients?  Or if not, can
> > belgarath somehow force mirrors to run rsync?  I mentioned rdist
> > only because of the current config, that the mirrors run rsync on
> > their end at intervals, and was unsure if the synchronization
> > direction could be swapped using rsync.  Also, rdist is what one
> > user suggested on twiki.org.
>
> Okay, I seem to have answered my own questions here.  rsync looks
> like it will work.  But the solution I found would require the mirror
> to be running sshd, have an rsync user and a copy of a public rsa key
> for the belgarath user that is running the script ( so that a script
> can rsync -e ssh without providing a password ).
>
> Likely, you would want to make sure that each mirror has the same web
> directory locations as well, or at least they must be known so that
> we can rsync on the server side to the proper location.  If you want
> to test all this out, I can set up a twiki installation here at
> jenacon, and we can test the rsync scripts.

Okay, I went ahead and set this up, the rsync "pushing" seems to work
well, even pushing only files that have changed.  I have the entire
twiki site here on jenacon, the only problem is that somewhere (and I
haven't figured out where yet) test.linuxfromscratch.org is hardcoded
into the installation so that I'm automatically redirected there when I
try to access my local mirror.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net