TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 9 13:05:46 PDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 02:31 pm, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2004 12:53 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with rdist, but maybe rsync is better since it's
> > what is currently in use too (unless rdist has strong features or
> > advantages over rsync). Rdist also doesn't seem to be maintained
> > anymore.
>
> I, in turn, know very little about rsync.  Can it be called from the
> server side to push files to remote clients?  Or if not, can
> belgarath somehow force mirrors to run rsync?  I mentioned rdist only
> because of the current config, that the mirrors run rsync on their
> end at intervals, and was unsure if the synchronization direction
> could be swapped using rsync.  Also, rdist is what one user suggested
> on twiki.org.

Okay, I seem to have answered my own questions here.  rsync looks like
it will work.  But the solution I found would require the mirror to be
running sshd, have an rsync user and a copy of a public rsa key for the
belgarath user that is running the script ( so that a script can rsync
-e ssh without providing a password ).

Likely, you would want to make sure that each mirror has the same web
directory locations as well, or at least they must be known so that we
can rsync on the server side to the proper location.  If you want to
test all this out, I can set up a twiki installation here at jenacon,
and we can test the rsync scripts.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net