TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 9 07:56:25 PDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 04:24 am, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> But please, if you have the time, then take an extensive look at all
> other options and see which is easiest to construct and maintain.

I'm currently looking through the Mirroring options you listed and I'm
trying to organize my thoughts here about what I'm seeing.
It seems that all the options listed on twiki.org require a TWiki
installation on the mirrored host.  This would include any perl modules
used, I believe.  Is this acceptable?  Wouldn't this require more than
we want out of a mirror?

I suppose we could render the entire web from belgarath into HTML and
then sync, but another thing that comes to mind is that we can't rsync
periodically the way we currently are.  Imagine this scenario: A user
in Europe reads a page from his local mirror.   He then decides to edit
the page, and this is done at belgarath as all edits are.  When he
saves his page and returns to his mirror he won't see the change, not
until the rsync occurs.  In my mind, this is broken.  In order to fix
this we would have to be *constantly* synchronizing, actively pushing
changes whenever they occur.  Which I suppose wouldn't be too bad if
it's a matter of pushing one file at a time when it changes.

If these are things that have already been considered, and I missed them
somwhere, my apologies.  In the meantime, I'm going to be thinking
through this and researching further possibilities.  So far, to me, the
best solution listed is the Clustering option, with one-way syncs via
rdist.  Included in this option would be the DataAndCodeSeparation,
making syncs via web simpler.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net