TWiki Mirror [was: Oregon mirror is not up to date]

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 01:24:56 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 08-07-2004 01:07:
> On Wednesday 07 July 2004 06:48 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>>
>>We're moving to round-robin DNS. This basically means that there will
>>be a rotating pool of up-to-date mirrors to which a user is
>>dynamically redirected. Mirrors will be automatically synchronized,
>>or if not possible, automatically removed from the pool. At least,
>>that's the theory. So far, RR-DNS is used for IRC and is intended for
>>FTP. For the website, we must at least write synchronization scripts,
>>and adjust TWiki to use https for editing (this also secures
>>authentication & editing), and redirect this to belgerath only
>>(probably easiest solution).
>

> Does this mean that a method of mirroring has been decided upon for
> TWiki?  (I had in mind to look in depth at the links posted under
> Mirroring in the WebsiteFeaturesTodo)

I'm not sure what the best method of mirroring would be since there are
several options. But we should accomodate at least RR-DNS, or else we'll
have a very tough time convincing other people of our choice. My
preferred solution would be:
- belgerath has the main editable TWiki installation
- we hack our TWiki installation to hardcode editing on belgerath
(preferably through https)
- we actively push our changes through rsync to the mirrors. If a mirror
doesn't respond, it's removed from the RR-DNS list
- with RR-DNS, people will always use a mirror, and only use belgerath
for editing (which is far less traffic)

But please, if you have the time, then take an extensive look at all
other options and see which is easiest to construct and maintain.

>>The only bad thing ATM is that we are nowhere near ready for
>>deployment of the TWiki. We're not feature-complete yet nor are we
>>ready for wider feedback. So we'll just have to be patient :-)
>

> Which items in WebsiteFeatureTodo have the highest priority?  I want to
> tackle one or two but still feel like I'm not quite up to speed on all
> that's going on...

1. Mirroring (see above)
2. Authorization (synchronize with belgerath) & security (https?)

If any of these two have significant problems, we may have to abandon
TWiki. After that we should incorporate at least all current site's
features, and from there on work our way to the bottom of the list. The
other items are reasonably small and can be tackled by whomever feels
like it.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans