ALFS SVN page still needs editing

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 6 22:42:38 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming said the following on 07-07-2004 04:15:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> Well, there's test.lfs.org and wiki.lfs.org for all your writing
>> needs. Until the CMS is ready to be widely deployed, the easiest way
>> for everyone to update content is to copy the page into one of those
>> systems, edit it there and mail the website list to import them into
>> the website.
>

> I'll keep that in mind, but to be honest I'm not to thrilled about
> grabbing an existing page off the web site into a wiki (losing all the
> formatting), editing it, and then having to have a website editor
> somehow merge those changes back in to the real page. I'd be concerned
> that they'd either have to use diffs to figure out what I changed, or
> they'd try to copy & paste it back into the website, in which case
> there's a significant amount of work to replace the XML formatting.

The conversion is really a non-issue. It's how we've managed it
ourselves, and it works pretty well. Both the Wiki's and the website use
XHTML and CSS, which means that style is seperated from XHTML markup.
Thus there's little formatting which needs to be adjusted; you'd just
have to take care of using proper Wiki syntax, but this is very rapidly
done ("Wiki Wiki = "fast fast" in Hawaiian). Merging back into the
website is just as easy; copy & paste of the source of the rendered Wiki
page into the appropriate div, a little cleanup and we're done. We can
tell the differences in the Wiki page (the first revision is roughly
equal to the static website).

But everyone's free to use the methods/systems he likes best, of course.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans