ALFS SVN page still needs editing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 6 19:15:49 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Well, there's test.lfs.org and wiki.lfs.org for all your writing needs.
> Until the CMS is ready to be widely deployed, the easiest way for
> everyone to update content is to copy the page into one of those
> systems, edit it there and mail the website list to import them into the
> website.

I'll keep that in mind, but to be honest I'm not to thrilled about
grabbing an existing page off the web site into a wiki (losing all the
formatting), editing it, and then having to have a website editor
somehow merge those changes back in to the real page. I'd be concerned
that they'd either have to use diffs to figure out what I changed, or
they'd try to copy & paste it back into the website, in which case
there's a significant amount of work to replace the XML formatting.

> For Subversion we already created a page some time ago:
> <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=Subversion>,
> although we should probably start using test.lfs.org more instead of the
> current wiki, since it has more functions and management capacities
> (such as ACL's for pages and user authentication). First we'll need to
> setup the necessary groups & users, and perhaps some scripts to
> synchronize with belgerath's users & permissions (I've added this to our
> todo list).

I'm hoping that the ALFS project will be a model for the community's
usage of Subversion :-) We are already discussing restructuring our
repos (as you've seen on alfs-discuss), and once that is in place I
suspect it will be a good arrangement for the other projects to use as well.