Hints page

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 17:23:55 PST 2004

Hi Roel Neefs. You said the following on 01/12/04 23:24:
> lo,
>
> I was wondering why the website doesn't have a nice overview of the
> hints anymore like it used to have. atm, it's not easy to find a hint
> (noticed on irc, when people couldn't find them). There's the option of
> looking at the changes list, or finding the hint browsing them, but if
> for example a hint is named pfs.txt, or is in a subdir like
> previous_format, the job gets harder :)

Unfortunately, due to the hints upgrade to a new format, we can't just
throw everything together. It was Tushar's decision to have the
hints-list be displayed in a last-changed way. Everything else is still
the same; it's still a complete list of all currently maintained hints,
you can browse the directories, and we still have the hints tarball.
Some problems you list are semi-unsolvable (who names their hint
pfs.txt?), and you have to question the reliability of old, badly named
and unmaintained hints. Of course, if someone really needs a hint he
will be able to find it, and he may choose to adopt the hint, thus
helping the community (if only for updating it to the new format).
I have nothing against different ways to present the hints list, and in
the past I've thought about different ways to organise them. (ie.
sortable by author, by date, by category). I think even a hints-specific
searchform would be possible, as Anderson recently made some changes to
swish-e.
We'll have to postpone discussing the available options until Tushar has
returned though.

> So i was wondering if it is possible to make such an overview with
> categories, just a suggestion ofcourse :)

It's difficult to choose suitable categories and keep them meaningful.
The previous hints incarnation had about 50% of the hints in the "misc."
category... Tushar has decided against using categories because of this.

> on a sidenote, konqueror from kde cvs of yesterday doesn't have the huge
> purple square anymore, but the menu on the right in the 2 columns mode
> still doesn't work, and the project choice at the top still has the
> problem of not aligning correct, cvs is in deeper freeze now for 3.2
> since yesterday, so the problem won't be fixed for it.

As a webdesigner, I absolutely hate Konqueror, and apparantly it hates
almost every site I code (which are all valid xhtml & css which work all
the way down to IE5 btw). Also, the Konqueror team is very slow to adopt
Safari's changes. Safari-1.0 has little/no problems with the current
website styles. I've also filed bugs for our site in Konqueror,
describing each problem. The only style which works reliably is the
three-column layout. I've made sure it is the default and I don't think
I can do much about the other problems.
Perhaps I can work on Konqueror-compatibility when the switch is made to
a CMS.

FAQ and Website Maintainer