Evaluating CMSes (Continuation)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 11 17:48:39 PST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 16:22, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> 1. Drupal - http://www.drupal.org

I like it :). Simple interface, but some powerful features. It has various
add-on modules for various things, like Wiki integration, polls, output of
CVS logs (see the complete list at http://drupal.org/project/releases).

1. The generated website should be mirrorable without requiring the CMS
on the mirror (eg. generate static pages)

It's LAMP based, so it should be easily mirrorable if the mirrors support PHP.

2. It should manage all our content so I don't have to edit all files if
I want to add a header element.

It has templating support. The good thing is that we can use a separate
templating library to process the template. And good news: I just found a
PHP-based TAL/TALES/METAL processor (the templating system used on Zope):
http://phptal.sourceforge.net/. This means that we can use Page Templates on
Drupal :)

Jeroen, if you still didn't take a look at the "Page Template" concepts, read
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Articles/ZPT1 ASAP. Almost certainly we
will be using this templating system, as it make our lives a lot easy. Of
course, if anyone knows a better templating system, just say ;)

3. Readable URL's

Most of them. Just the news items aren't so readable:
http://drupal.org/node/view/3876. But, another good news: Drupal has a nice
feature called "url aliasing". It enables you create aliases for any url, so
you can create a link to a news item like
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs50release

3. Poll system

Built-in.

4. Version control of the content (or integratable into CVS)

Basic support (Drupal permits you create a "revision point" of a document and,
if necessary, go back to that version). It also has a "watchdog" feature,
which logs the latest operations made, and by which user.

5. The possibility to hook our search system, user database, CVS
changelogs, Wiki, etc. into it. Extendability and well-defined interfaces.

Although Drupal has a built-in search engine, it's not so powerful than Swish.
So we will still use swish as our primary search engine. Drupal has modules
for both CVS log and Wiki.

6. Total freedom in the templates (eg. no fixed content and valid markup
by default)

With Page Template integration, we will have a powerful templating system. In
the meantime, Drupal has built-in support for XTemplate
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtpl/), which is not so bad at all.

7. It should allow a user policy similar to Wordpress (eg. admins,
category owners, category news poster)

It has role-based permissions, but not at the "category" level. To enable
this, we have to use the Groups module.

Another thing: Dupal does not have, by default, categories for news items. But
we can use the Article module for this.

Conclusion: We should give Dupal a try. It has an active community and we can
always issue a "feature request" for a specific feature we don't have.

> 2. phpBB - http://www.phpbb.com

This CMS is more apropriate for forums.

> 3. phpWebSite - http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu

A powerful CMS, but it has ugly URLs and no "friendly URL" support. Eg:
http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/index.php?module=faq&FAQ_op=viewFAQs&MMN_position=34:34

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org