Evaluating CMSes (Continuation)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 11 12:22:12 PST 2004

Hi,

While the Plone/Zope "to use or not to use" question is not answered, I
continue to evaluate other CMSes (I'm also looking for a CMS for my projects,
remember?). For this evaluation, I first read the feature list of the CMS,
navigate through its demo version (If available) and then download/install
the software. All those steps are considered on the "report".

Sometimes a package is powerful and easy to use on its "live" version, but has
a broken or complex installation, or too many dependencies.

The current status:

Midgard CMS - although it has a nice list of features, it's not truly LAMP.
It's based on Midgard framework, which needs the installation of its own set
of C libraries (midgard-lib). I've not even installed this one.

Mambo OS - easy installation, reasonable list of features, but its templating
system is far from being good. Also, some of its best modules are not free
(free as in beer and as in freedom). The WYSIWYG feature only works on
Windows/IE 5.5+ (no Linux or Mac).

Now, I'm going to test the CMSes suggested by Paul Jewell:

1. Drupal - http://www.drupal.org
2. phpBB - http://www.phpbb.com
3. phpWebSite - http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org