Which CMS to use?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 10 10:42:07 PST 2004

[Gerard, please read the foot note and allow (or deny) me to do this]

On Friday 09 January 2004 21:37, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I don't want to rule out Plone if we can hack around the issue (although
> you're right; it's a really ugly hack). But we should also be careful; a
> hack stays a hack so there's no guarantee that it will work in the
> feature. Unless the Plone/Zope developers have anything on their roadmap
> regarding this issue we should probably drop Plone. :(

Well, we can give Plone a try... Actually, I was concerned about how wget
could mirror "dynamic" sections, like the search and poll functions. It's
like to try to mirror a CGI page, the <form> URL links to a static page,
instead of the real CGI, therefore it doesn't work (that's why, for example,
we don't mirror the swish.cgi page, it's kept on main server instead).

BUT, I had an idea: we could, on the templates, change the URLs of <form> tags
to point to the LFS main server, like we do for our current search engine.
All the other links we wish to mirror will be relative. So we use the wget's
-L option to only fetch the relative links.

Also, the rsync system can be maintained (just change the rsync to mirror the
directory tree fetched by wget). Mirrors will not (hopefully) even note the
CMS change. Are you ready to test Plone?

> I can't wait! BTW how do you feel about Mambo OS?
> (http://www.mamboserver.com) Someone recommended it. Their default
> templates suck though.

We could give it a try (but after Midgard, see my previous message). But let's
try to use Plone now, you revived my hope! :)

So far, I have the following list of CMSes (some already tested, and others to
test in this order):

1. Plone - still have chances to be used :)
2. eZ Publish - not friendly - REJECTED
3. Midgard - to test, LAMP based
4. Mambo OS - to test, LAMP based

I have tested some others, but due to serious defects (installation problems;
too many dependencies; poor templating system), I've not listed them here.

###
If we really are going to test Plone, I have to ask Gerard for permission to
run the Zope daemon. It does not need root privileges to run, nor database
setup. It even runs (and this is the default behaviour) on a (high?) port
(8080, by default). It can run standalone ("naked"), direct serving pages to
the Internet, but I read some articles saying that this causes poor
performance and even security concerns. So, the recommend way of running Zope
is to use Apache as a proxy to it. Apache will make the necessary security
checks and then pass the hard work to Zope.

Gerard, if you are interested in allowing me to run this daemon, tell me so I
can send to you the necessary lines to be added to httpd.conf. Note that we
are only making tests, this will not be the definitive installation. I will
install the server on a directory under my $HOME directory.
###
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org