Which CMS to use?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 9 13:31:30 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> While PHP could be added to the list of requirements, I'm afraid Zope
> would be too much :(

That's sad :(. I just found a project that maintains Plone/CMF modules for
most functionalities we could need, including Wiki and polls:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/collective

Zope is a really powerful framework. Maybe, within 2 or 3 years, we could have
most of our mirrors running it ;)

> How do other organizations which use Plone solve this? Perhaps even mail
> their support lists?

Most of the Plone-powered sites I visited don't mirror their pages at all, but
_I think_ that those who do this have Zope installed on every mirror. Anyway,
I found a hint about how to use wget to mirror a Zope-based site for non-Zope
servers (see http://zope.org/Members/hdw/Tip/wget), but it is very limited
(basically we lack all the dynamic features of Plone). And IMHO, is a crude
hack and Zope doesn't seems to support it.

> What alternatives do we have besides Plone/Zope? Or do you think the
> mirror-issue can be solved somehow?

I don't see how we can easily mirror Plone without having Zope installed on
every mirror (but see the wget aproach). So the only way is try other
alternatives. Don't worry, since I started testing Plone, I had other CMS in
mind ;). Its name is "eZ publish" (http://ez.no/products/ez_publish_3). It's
uses the traditional PHP/MySQL/Apache framework, so we can already exclude
the mirroring issue (although I will already search a third option in case we
find this CMS is not suitable for us).

[PS: I'm enjoying making tests with these systems. Sometime ago I was looking
for a CMS to manage my projects. Now I'm having the opportunity to continue
the search.]

[PS2: Zope/CMF/Plone installation was unexpectedly quick and trouble-free.
They don't need root privileges to run, and work out-of-the-box. Most of the
configuration can be done through the web.]

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org