Which CMS to use?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 9 09:36:42 PST 2004

Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 01/09/04 06:20:

> My thoughts about Plone:
>
> Really good. Easy to use, well-documented, nice default theme, standards
> compliant (although the W3C validator reports some syntax errors, they are
> minor and can be easily fixed). It runs on top of Zope, a high quality Open
> Source web application server.
>
> Using your "needed capabilities" list as base:
>
> 1. The generated website should be mirrorable without requiring the CMS
> on the mirror (eg. generate static pages)
>
> Here resides the main problem. Plone runs on top of Zope, so it needs Zope
> running on server. This can difficult mirroring A LOT :(
<snip>
> Conclusion: the only drawback is that Plone uses Zope (which is also because
> it rocks). Zope needs to be running on server, which difficult mirroring a
> lot. There are some hacks on Zope.org to permit mirroring (like fetching with
> wget), but they are ugly and do not work with a dynamic tool like Plone.

While PHP could be added to the list of requirements, I'm afraid Zope
would be too much :(
How do other organizations which use Plone solve this? Perhaps even mail
their support lists?

What alternatives do we have besides Plone/Zope? Or do you think the
mirror-issue can be solved somehow?

FAQ and Website Maintainer