Which CMS to use? (was: Re: Wordpress - first impressions)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 8 17:01:30 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Which exact capabilities? I think that's the time to specify which
> > features we are planning for the Website and/or which problems we are
> > planning to address.
>
> Yes, good question. We also have to think beyond our immediate needs.
> Probably we're going to be stuck with the next CMS for quite some time.
> Such a system has to be usable without us, too, so if real life
> interferes and we have to give up LFS, the community can continue.

I agree. And our current system (at least the news one) doesn't easily allow
this.

> So let's set some capabilities which we require now and in the distant
> future from a CMS (in random order):
> [...]

See http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_evaluate/ ("How to evaluate a content
management system") for some more. Although it is business-centred, it has
good tips of how to choose a good CMS.

If you don't mind I will use your list of requirements as a "checklist" to
find good candidates for our CMS. I must make a note though: IMO, there are
two main kinds of CMS. One is focused on managing content on the
developer/author/webmaster side, and does not have user-side features like
poll, comment, etc. They are more well described as "content publishing
systems" or "Content Management Framework" (CMF). I'll ASAP test Plone
(http://plone.org/), a good example of this system. See
http://plone.org/documentation/faq/AboutPlone#ref2 ("What is a CMF?") for a
better description.

The other type represents those more focused on "user space" (read: Slashcode,
PHPNuke and so on).

As you said, we are mainly interested now on helping ourselves, so we should
focus on the first type of CMSes.

> What other features do we require? We have to make a decision based on
> what we need now and what we might need in the future. So perhaps a blog
> tool is too restricted; it's no use to continuely hack around its
> limitations (then we'd be better off doing it all ourselves).

For all those features, a blog certainly does not serve for us. I have some
candidates in mind, and will be posting comments here as I test and play with
them.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org