WordPress test setup done

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 8 13:32:17 PST 2004

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> > I like the possibility of comments being entered for news items, that
>
> I'm undecided about this one. Consider: wiki. Been there for a long
> time, doesn't get the attention/activity that the implementors
> envisioned. And that was *intended* for development, comments, ...

<personal comment>
I don't like Wiki (not *the* LFS Wiki, but how Wiki works). One day, I read an
article about "reinventing the wheel" and it pointed to a Wiki URL. On Wiki,
anyone (if this is allowed by the admin) can create a new page (like a topic
in a forum). After reading a bunch of comments trying to imitate a thread
scheme (something not beautiful; IMHO, Wiki was not intended for
discussions), I was pointed to a new Wiki page, and then other... So I noted
that I was walking in circles (Serious!)
</personal comment>

> wordpress is intended, I guess, primarily as a tool to ease the
> website's maintenenace of news items. Do we really *need* the ability to
> comment on posted news? If so, will it now mean we have to search *and*
> monitor the lists *and* look at news to keep current?

Possibly. But you forgot Bugzilla. It also has a "leave comment" feature, but
it has the nice feature to foward the comments to a list, something we could
implement if we will use comments on news items.

IMHO, the ability to comment news item is the chance some users will have to
quickly leave their opinions about the subject, without having to use the
(boring, for some) e-mail system. Some people also like to be annonymous,
something e-mail (read: mailing lists) often does not offer.

[Or do you think Bugzilla comments should also be disabled ;)?]

> Considering that some (most?) folks don't make effective use of the
> *two* locs we now have, is a third going to be better?

Yes, if it has visitor's acceptance. Not everyone like to use wiki (like me)
or mailing lists. The comments on news items will be another way to catch
this specific audience.

Now, another way to justify this whole thing: think on "news items with
comment ability" like a Blog. It has proven to be a successful mean of
expression among many people (just search on Google for "blog" and you will
see what I mean). This will just be another way to "catch" that specific
niche we still don't explore.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org