CMS - what about wordpress?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 6 15:19:09 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Glad you like it. It's really easy to install and we already have
> everything on the server to use it (MySQL, PHP). My only concern would
> be the mirrorability of pages, especially if we enable comments. (and
> think comments it would add real value to the site). We also need to
> keep URL compatibility in mind.

AFAIK, only the PHP pages will be mirrored; the MySQL database will be
the same (hosted at linuxfromscratch.org, possibly) for all mirrors. So
the content (comments, news items, archive) will instantly propagate to
all mirrors. Another advantage of using a CMS.

"URL compatibility" you mean relative URLs? I think this will not be an
issue.

> Setting up the test environment: this should be as simple as untarring
> the package and pointing the browser to wp-admin/install-config.php
and
>   wp-admin/install.php. This will generate the database and a password
> for admin. The readme.html in the tarball explains this pretty well.
>
> Anderson, how would you like to proceed? If you want I'll let you
setup
> the test environment; you're more knowledgable in this area. You'll
> probably need to coordinate with Gerard on this. Oh, feel free to use
> the test.lfs.org domain.

I'm reading the README right now and setting up wordpress locally to see
what administration tasks should be done by Gerard. So far, the
installation seems very easy, with a "step-by-step" interface. :)

BTW, you (Jeroen) need to make the /home/httpd/test.linuxfromscratch.org
directory group-writable, as you are the owner of that dir.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org