CMS - what about wordpress?

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jan 6 11:37:14 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I've been following the blogging world lately and I think we could
> enhance certain parts of our site with a blog CMS. Wordpress is
> opensource and GPL - see http://wordpress.org/about/ and has about the
> same features as MovableType.

I like it. FYI, there is a live demo available at
http://www.opensourcecms.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19.
This CMS seems a good candidate to become our new news management
system. It's not too "intrusive" like Slash, it's (almost; there are
some invalid code on it) XHTML compliant, has archives, on-line
administration tool etc.

> It may be a lot easier to use something like this then to hack
slashcode.

Maybe... Definitely Slash is more difficult to customize to our
requirements, eg. its HTML code is very old and not standards
compliant. OTOH, it has all the features we could need on future, and a
little more.

*BUT* I confess I like simplicity. I think we should incorporate the
tools as I need them. So we should forget Slash for a while and try
less complex alternatives, like Wordpress. I know I had other POV on
past, but ideas evolve... :)

Now, back to WordPress: I suggest we install a test/pre-release
environment (like we did for the website) to see how could this CMS
make our lives better, and to get the LFS community opinions about the
new features. As I said, this CMS is not intrusive and (hopefully) will
be easy to implement, so we could start the implementation Real Soon
Now.

Any objections?