Search engine rewrite, 1st stage: needs server-side configuration

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 3 14:41:29 PST 2004

Hi,

I've finished my TODO item labeled "search engine rewrite" (see
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2003-October/001317.html).
It needs some administration tasks though, that I'm not allowed to do
on server.

Note that I'm just updating the search engine backend to a "stable"
state. The next stage will allow per-list searches, searchs on website,
hints and patches etc.

Swish-e update to 2.4.1
---------------------------
The server has version 2.2.3 currently installed. Version 2.4.1 has many
improvements, and some security fixes. The installation instructions
follows:
1) Download:
http://swish-e.org/Download/swish-e-2.4.1.tar.gz
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~lizardo/patches/swish-e-2.4.1-xhtml_fixes.patch

2) Temporarily disable search service:

cd /home/httpd/search.linuxfromscratch.org &&
ln -sf offline.html index.html

3) Compile and install. The patch converts some hard-coded HTML code to
well-formed XHTML, and supresses a warning message that could flood the
Apache log. Compilation on a separate directory is recommended by
Swish-e documentation:

patch -Np1 -i ../swish-e-2.4.1-xhtml_fixes.patch &&
mkdir ../swish-build &&
cd ../swish-build &&
../swish-e-2.4.1/configure --prefix=/usr &&
make &&
make check &&
make install

4) Install the following files (attached) and the front-end CGI script:

cp swish.conf /etc &&
cp .swishcgi.conf swish.tmpl /home/httpd/search.linuxfromscratch.org/ &&
cp /usr/lib/swish-e/swish.cgi \
/home/httpd/search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi

5) Recreate the search index:

cd /home/httpd/search.linuxfromscratch.org &&
swish-e -c /etc/swish.conf

6) Enable search service:

ln -sf search.html index.html

Modify /usr/bin/update-search-engine.sh
1) Remove the following lines:

ln -sf offline.html index.html
ln -sf search.html index.html

Reason: Indexing and searching can occur at the same time. See
http://tinyurl.com/2lpr5.

2) Change the following line:

swish-e -c /etc/swish.conf -S fs -l

swish-e -c /etc/swish.conf

Reason: "-S fs" is the default behaviour, and "-l" is already done by
"FollowSymLinks" directive.