recycling LFS

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 30 14:33:22 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:30:12AM -0800, rush45 at hushmail.com wrote:

> I there a possibility that you could save the linux from scratch
> people have build? And later install it on another or the same
> computer from a saved file without having to compile again?
> It would be nice if that was possible.
> You could have contests who could build the fastest and smallest
> linux with a certain set of agreed components like KDE and other
> software. You could put the fastest distributions online for
> download.

It would seem that you are completely missing the "From Scratch" idea
behind this project. In a nutshell, it is learning by building and
customizing your own system, not downloading a premade system.

> I want to be able to keep my LFS save so I can enjoy it for a long
> period of time.

But then it becomes outdated (quickly) and you have to rebuild with
newer package versions, so you are back to square one.

> I am not a
> compiler expert but, could people make libraries to get rid of the
> darn dependencies?

What are you doing when you install a dependency? Often you are creating
the library you just mentioned. Think carefully about what you said
above. If I have a certain library to take care of a certain dependency,
then if I don't install a program that needs that library, the my system
is bigger than it needs to be. However, if I install that library only
when I need it (which is exactly what you are doing by installing
dependencies) then my system stays as smaller generally. Also, if you
are talking about programs that need a certain shell to install, then
install them in /opt, build the package that needs it, then remove the
shell. No one said you had to run the shell.

>I heard indirectly from a computer expert that to make a computer fast
>you have to keep the operating system software small. Is this true?
>Sounds logical to me.

That is overly simplified. I can install tons of separate unrelated
software and it will not slow down anything more than HD seek times.
However, if the software is all inter-related, then yes, from a
simplistic point of view, it will be slower due to its complexities.

--
Archaic

Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.

- General George Stark.