New Website Design

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 12 01:49:41 PST 2004

Jeremy Huntwork said the following on 12-12-2004 02:19:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> That logo and "best viewed using" is considered very bad form
>> in web development. However, do whatever you like. :-)
>>
> Ok, I'd never heard that.
>
>> Do you really think anyone would change browsers because of that
>> logo and statement?  :-)
>

> You're right, it probably wouldn't change a thing.  I can take it off, I
> didn't realize it was 'bad form'. It really isn't a big deal to me.
> More than anything else, I needed something to put in the footer for now.

It reminds me of the old days when, during the Browser Wars, MS and NS
supporters would put such a footer in their website. Standards people
noted that you shouldn't code for a browser but for a standard, so your
code will be valid for past and future browsers. The web is meant to be
universally accessible, so a website should be readable by the whole
spectrum of browsers, ranging from Jaws, Lynx, Dillo, NN4, all the way
up to Firefox and cousins, Opera, Konqueror/Safari, etc.

(If you're interested in the fascinating history of todays' web
standards culture, read the archives at www.alistapart.com and
www.digital-web.com)

--
Groeten/Greetings,