New Website Design

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 11 07:03:24 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:52:15PM +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Some suggestions for the new design, if the community is going forward
> with it:
>
> - Add the ability to search through the mailing lists or the website
> (perhaps a dropdown) from the front page. Also a link to the search page.

Swish-E doesn't seem to provide anything that a site search through
google doesn't and it takes some load off belgarath. Now, if swish-E
could be set to *not* search the monthly archive pages (or if someone
blocked those from spider crawling) that would really help the search
feature.

> - the news pages can be simplified to one page. In the current site,
> each section has it's own news page. However, based on past experiences,
> I think you can safely relegate all news to one page.

Agreed 100%. However, I think a simple template should be made that
allows news items to be inserted manually into the html. As well, I
don't think there is much need for news archives. We have changelogs.

--
Archaic

What, then, is law [government]? It is the collective organization of
the individual right to lawful defense."

- Frederic Bastiat, "The Law"