New Website Design

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 11 05:52:15 PST 2004

Some suggestions for the new design, if the community is going forward
with it:

- Add the ability to search through the mailing lists or the website
(perhaps a dropdown) from the front page. Also a link to the search page.
- the news pages can be simplified to one page. In the current site,
each section has it's own news page. However, based on past experiences,
I think you can safely relegate all news to one page. Continuing in that
line of thought, I also think LFS can benefit from a real homepage, like
mozilla.org or drupal.org.
- Move the sitemap link to the footer. With a relatively flat
information architecture, there's no need for it in the main navigation
- the left navigation bar; is it supposed to be context-sensitive? If
so, remove the general items to another location (eg. contribute,
support). As a suggestion, in the TWiki design, I placed the general
links in a horizontal bar under the section links.

Some nitpicks (you've probably haven't coded this yet):
- mark the current page in the left navigation bar
- differentiate visited links
- instead of endorsing Firefox, I'd rather have LFS endorse Web Standards...

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans