Website Proposal [Was TWiki status]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 8 19:06:42 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> svnwww/ (website repo top-level)
>   trunk/
>     lfs/
>       patches/
>         unstable/
>           symlinks to patches in svnwww/patches
>         testing/
>           symlinks to patches in svnwww/patches
>         6.0/
>           symlinks to patches in svnwwww/patches
>     blfs/
>       5.1.1/
>         symlinks to patches in svnwww/patches
>     patches/
>       (this is an svn external to the patches repository)

I know you already said you thought this was over-engineered, but I
disagree; I think this is a perfect usage of the tools available. If you
can take the appropriate script and convince it to manage the symlinks
in those directories, then you're all set, and the patches only exist in
one place (no copying at all).

Now, what would be extra-super-cool is if the symlinks could have
targets that pointed at specific revision numbers of their target file;
that would eliminate needing to even keep multiple version numbers of
the patch around in the patches repository... only the symlinks would
have versioned names. However, I don't see that as a feature, and I
doubt it's in the works. Too bad :-(