Website Proposal [Was TWiki status]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 8 10:55:45 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> I'm under the impression that an rsync push method would be the ideal
> solution in terms of updating mirrors, though I understand this would
> require another daemon running on the mirror server.  We currently
> allocate each mirror an rsync time to pull changes from the live site.
> Is there any reason we can't just tell them to attempt a pull every 10
> minutes (or whatever period is deemed reasonable)?  IIUC, rsync only
> transfers *changed* content, so in the event that the website hasn't
> changed since the last pull, the next attempt would be a no-op
> (admittedly there'll be *some* overhead in the call, though I have no
> idea how much).

In that case, why even bother using rsync? If the mirror admins can be
convinced to install a client-only copy of Subversion, then they can
just as easily do "svn update" when needed. This has the advantage of
less CPU work on belgarath, because SVN only has to check revision
numbers to see if there are changes, unlike rsync which has to do more
thorough checking. It also means that only diffs will be sent over the
wire, instead of whole files (yes, I know rsync can do that too, but it
will never work as well as Subversion, since Subversion _already_ has
the diffs to send).