Website Proposal [Was TWiki status]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 8 09:38:10 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sending this message to find out two things:
> 1. Are we going to proceed with deploying TWiki on the LFS website to
> replace the current HTML? I mean, are there no technical or political
> objections from the LFS project members (save a dissident voice)?

Ok. I wasn't sure how and when I was going to present this, or even *if*
I would, but after this email and several comments from various LFS team
members, I think it's time I bring this forward.

I've had several discussions with various team members about the TWiki
development and future conversion (mostly in irc).  In most of these
discussions I did my best to defend the prospect of a TWiki and the
benefits of using one, but often they didn't get very far.  The best
I've ever been able to do is say, 'just wait until the finished product
is done, and leave your opinions until then.'  I've come to realize
that, no matter what the feature set of TWiki, many neither see the need
to use one, nor like the prospect of doing so.  Even if it may seem to
some to be irrational opinions, we can't beat our current
contributors/developers heads into submission.  Even if our development
of TWiki continues and produces a beautiful and functional site, I don't
think we'd get there without a *lot* of pain.

All of the above was to show the path that led me here. One day on IRC,
Matthew Burgess and myself were talking, and we wondered, mostly out of
curiosity, how difficult it would be to re-organize the current lfs site
into a very simple XHTML/CSS implementation.  I don't think either of us
expected anything great to come out of this, or that we'd actually
consider propsing the resultant site to the community for use.  But as
we continued playing around, we found that we both rather liked what we
had done.

The goals we had with our site was that it should be clean, uncluttered,
readable, easily navigable, and look professional. We made use of SSI's
to implement a standard menu header and footer for each project.  We
also do a simple 'svn update' as a post-commit hook script that is
straightforward and works very well, of course I realize that it may be
complicated a bit more by the addtion of the books and news feeds, but
keeping the goals of simplicity in mind, we're finding that often a
solution presents itself.

Anyway, enough talk.  Here is the site:

http://67.87.147.92:5080/

It still needs to be fleshed out and to have a few features added.  But
I'm putting this forward publicly to allow anyone who wishes to
comment.  I'm bringing it up only as an *option* - I fully respect
everyone's current postition and right to an opinion in this regard, so,
personally, no feelings on the line ;)

--
Jeremy Huntwork