update-website.mk make script ready

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 16:24:36 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

Finally, update-website.mk is working fine. It only recreates the files whose
dependencies were modified, or that were removed. This way, only the actual
changed files are rsynced.

The overall "usual" update process (e.g. after a news item is added) is pretty
quick, and actually what is slowing down it a lot is the hints tarball
creation and other patches/hints-related stuff (which should be moved to
their respective post-commit scripts as soon as our post-commit script is
up).

I've already created a small hook script, located
at /home/lizardo/scripts/update-website-hook.sh, that will be called by
subversion right after a commit. This script will be moved to a more standard
location (possibly /usr/bin) after the tests.

There is also a property attached to the repository's root dir, called
"targetdir", which should be used to setup where the rendered website tree is
located. I was not sure where to attach this property so I chose a location
that will not change even with the repository reorganization. Let me know if
you guys want it on another location. For now keep it with its current value,
until we feel the post-commit process is working fine.

So, can I enable the post-commit script to continue the tests? It should not
affect the current website in any way.
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org