Old daily snapshots laying around in downloads/ and view/

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 10:55:44 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 01:01, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> [...]

All your description above is correct.

> So far so good. But this then forces the testing and unstable branch to
> use different version prefixes. After 6.0 is out we'll need to use a new
> version format and we don't know yet if that will be 6.1 or 7.0. Well, I
> guess there may not be a testing for a bit until we are actually getting
> close to a point where a testing branch is useful again.
>
> Either way, we could never use a SVN-* format for our testing branch
> version, correct? Since it would get deleted when "trunk" is renderred,
> seeing it removes all SVN-* before copying the files.

Correct, but there is actually a stronger reason to _not_ use the same prefix
format on different branches. A user trying to identify the branch s/he is
reading just by looking the version string cannot do so because the version
string is always "SVN-YYYYMMDD". At the end of the book, the instruction to
create the /etc/lfs-release file will always be of the format:

echo SVN-YYYYMMDD > /etc/lfs-release

So you would imagine people saying "I'm having trouble building LFS
SVN-YYYYMMDD". Which branch is s/he using?

Another problem, related to the render script itself and the final location of
the rendered book on the website is "version string clash": if the two
branches happen to have the same version string some day (e.g. both are
changed on the same day), the render script will overwrite the previous
rendered book, leaving both lfs/view/unstable and lfs/view/testing with the
same rendered book. This happenend once and that's why Matthew changed the
string format for testing.

> Maybe it's a good idea to just come up with a good version format.
> SVN-testing-date and SVN-unstable-date and SVN-6.0-testing-date in the
> current case (or something similar that makes sense).

Agreed. The version string for each branch can have any format, as long as
they are different (and descriptive, IMHO).

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org