Old daily snapshots laying around in downloads/ and view/

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 9 22:01:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 19:04, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> I currently do a rm -rf SVN-* (and now 6.0-testing-*) right before putting the
> most recent snapshot on lfs/{view,downloads}, inside the render_branch()
> function.

I'm just looking at the script now and not running it, so maybe I'm
missing something so let me try to reason it out.

The render_branch() function gets currently executed two times. Once for
branches/testing and once for trunk.

We run for branches/testing. Currently version will be
6.0-testing-20040809 and the line

[ "${version##6.0-testing-*}" ] || rm -rf $PREFIX/lfs/view/6.0-testing-*

Will remove old 6.0-testing directories before the new one is copied,
and the same again for in lfs/downloads/ after lfs/view/ is done.

Then during the second run of trunk, seeing the $version variable will
contain SVN-something, it will only remove the SVN-* directories and
leave the 6.0-testing ones alone.

So far so good. But this then forces the testing and unstable branch to
use different version prefixes. After 6.0 is out we'll need to use a new
version format and we don't know yet if that will be 6.1 or 7.0. Well, I
guess there may not be a testing for a bit until we are actually getting
close to a point where a testing branch is useful again.

Either way, we could never use a SVN-* format for our testing branch
version, correct? Since it would get deleted when "trunk" is renderred,
seeing it removes all SVN-* before copying the files.

Maybe it's a good idea to just come up with a good version format.
SVN-testing-date and SVN-unstable-date and SVN-6.0-testing-date in the
current case (or something similar that makes sense).

Or am I reading the script wrong and am misinterpreting the script?

--
Gerard Beekmans