New update-website.mk script commited

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 7 20:19:56 PDT 2004

Hi Jeremy,

The makefile script is commited. I didn't test the rsync'ing yet; that's why
it's commented out. Can I test it with your server now? Just asking in case
you're doing some experiments with it :)

After we confirm the rsyncing is working, we can enable the post-commit hook
(but still using the TARGETDIR on test.linuxfromscratch.org). If it's working
OK, we backup the current site and copy the tree from
test.linuxfromscratch.org to the definitive location , so the migration will
be almostly atomic to the visitors.

Still on TODO:
- add code to update the mirrors list automatically, disabling mirrors not
responding to the rsync push but that were supposedly enabled to accept push.
- See the comments marked as TODO on the script. Although the script works
without fixing them, it will run a lot faster if we move the update-patches
and update-hints targets to the post-commit hook scripts of the respective
repositories.
- Possibly move the HTML validation code to a pre-commit hook script, although
I'm not sure if that's possible at that stage (e.g. how do we check the
content that is being commited, if it's not on the repository yet?). Keeping
it on the post-commit script is useless as there is no way to avoid the buggy
HTML code from being commited because it was already commited. Confusing, no?

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org