rsync push method: modifying the website update script

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 2 14:23:08 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm planning to change the current way of updating the website to better fit a
"post-commit" setup. Currently, update-website.sh recreates the entire
website everytime it runs, don't matter there were changes to the files or
not. I'd like to change this a bit, so only the parts that were modified are
updated.

"make" is a nice tool for these situations, so I plan to create a makefile
script. An example of the advantage of using a makefile is for the RSS files.
Currently, they are recreated don't matter there are new news items or not,
which make old news always show as "new" of some RSS readers. With a make
rule like:

news.html:
	$(SCRIPTS)/lfs2rss.pl -n news.html -r feed.rss

The feeds will only be updated if news.html is changed.
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org