[PROPOSAL] TWiki and mirroring

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 2 13:34:53 PDT 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 15:26, lfs at ds80-237-204-39.dedicated.hosteurope.de
wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 03:52:23PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > - I remember some people arguing that enabling edits only for belgarath
> > would increase bandwidth usage. I offer a possible solution for this:
> > additionally to having mirrors hosting static data, some which have no
> > concerns regarding the items above can co-operate with belgarath on
> > hosting the scripts and non-processed data (i.e. a complete TWiki
> > installation). Those include possible mirrors which already host
> > TWiki-powered projects and feel confident about it (as anyone else should
> > :). The requirements for these "special" mirrors will be no different
> > from what we have currently on
> > http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors.
>
> I would like to help in mirroring the twiki (scripts/data/etc)
> completely.  I read the link, and it does not sound so out of the
> ordinary for requirements.

Thanks for your support, but see my reply to Jeroen's reply to this message.
The mirroring of the "edit" script can cause race conditions when two people
try to edit the same page at the same time on different mirrors.

> > - Move from our current CGI/Apache authentication method to https, as
> > suggested by Jeroen. I have my doubts if the current method will work
> > well with these cross-site redirections from "edit mode" to "view mode"
> > and vice-versa. Additionally, CGI::Session likes to create small cookie
> > files on server's /tmp dir (some belgarath users may have noticed how
> > messed is /tmp :) and is not scalable enough, IMHO (the docs explain that
> > Apache authentication becomes slower the bigger the .htpasswd database
> > is).
>
> I see.  I can see where https would be an advantage here.  Sounds like a
> decent plan, and I look forward to seeing how it all progresses and later
> helping with the mirroring.

We still need to do some research regarding how troublesome can be to setup
HTTPS authentication (the "tunelling" will be probably done, though). Do you
have some knowledge on SSL authentication that you might want to share with
us? :)

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org